Because no matter if you are flipping houses to make extra money, down-sizing, up-sizing, moving for a job, or any other reason, if you find yourself in a position where you are trying to sell your home, I know you want to get top dollar for your house, right?
Then read on for my proven tips to help you stage your home and make more money! 🙂
Did you know that statistics show that empty houses are harder to sell because it can be challenging for many people to imagine how spaces can be set up? (I get excited about empty spaces to decorate, but that's just me!)
The opposite is also true – if a room is too cluttered and full, potential buyers have trouble looking past all the stuff.
1- So rule number one for staging is less is more, but there is a balance.
Sometimes, less is just, well, less. And that’s not necessarily helpful either.
So be careful that you don’t get to spare and lose all sense of style.
The key is to not overfill the room with clutter. So, I kept my design simple.
- You must elevate it off the floor. No compromise. This is not a college dorm room, so please get it up off the floor. I used empty storage tubs to do this. They were the same tubs that I packed everything into that I brought to decorate the house. Making this not only handy but also easy and affordable. I used a total of six tubs, three on each side.
- Fake a headboard. The mattress I used has a built-in headboard which I have a love/hate relationship with. It’s not attractive – at all (which is the hate part) but it does provide a backdrop for me to prop some Euro Pillows (large square pillows) against which helps disguise the fact that there isn’t a “real” headboard here.
Crisp white bed linens, paired with aqua blue accents, are a perfect compliment to the existing wall paint color. Plus, even if a potential buyer doesn’t love the blue, by having the majority of the bed in white, they are having to use much less imagination to envision making this room their own.
The drapes were left by the homeowner and the darker color added a bit of drama to the space. In a perfect world, the drapes should be hung higher to make the room feel taller, but these were already there so we worked with it.
Remember how I said at the beginning of this post that these were proven techniques?
Well, in case you’re wondering, this home sold within 24 hours of being listed! It had over 6 offers and sold for more than list price!!
- Don’t overfill the space – consider taking some furniture out of the room if necessary so that it feels roomy.You may even want to temporarily store your king sized bed and replace it with a Queen sized air mattress! (Note, if you are going to be actually sleeping on an air mattress do not use the plastic tubs as a base, those are for staging purposes only!)
- Bedrooms are havens that we all want to retreat to at the end of a busy day, use soothing serene colors so potential buyers feel like they are entering a “retreat,” almost spa-like room. It will make an impression! Blue is reported to be a very good color choice for bedrooms.
- Keep your decor, especially bed linens, neutral. You want as few negative distractions as possible and dated fabrics are a quick “turn-off” to everyone.
- Consider hiring a professional decorator or stager if you are selling your home. While a good stager will cost a little bit of money, you could end up making thousands more in your final sale price, just like these homeowners did!
I hope you picked up a bit of inspiration for How to Stage a Bedroom to Sell! And even if you aren't selling your home I hope it was helpful, after all, who doesn't love a serene bedroom? I know I do!!
See anything you like? Here's a list of RESOURCES I used to pull together this look. Please note these links below are affiliate links. If you purchase an item from here I might make a commission. Please note this will not affect the price you pay at all, it will simply help me continue to bring you great content like this. Thank you!
RESOURCES TO STAGE A BEDROOM TO SELL:
White “Fabiana” 8-piece comforter set – Target | Similar White Comforter Sets – Amazon
Blue Threshold brand Taped Solid Toss Pillows – Target | Similar Aqua Throw Pillows – Amazon
Ancient Aqua Threshold Sweater Knit Blanket – Target | Similar Aqua Blankets – Amazon
Canvas painted artwork – Target
Brown wood tone standing floor mirror – Target | Similar leaning wall mirrors – Amazon
Dark grey drapes – Target
Mercury Glass lamps – Target | Similar Mercury Glass lamps – Amazon
White porcelain trophy – Target
White faux coral – Target | Similar white faux coral – Amazon
“Love, Love, Love” framed print – Home Goods | Similar “Love, Love, Love” framed prints – Amazon
Side Tables – Phillips Discount Furniture, Charlottesville, VA
Small blue & white ginger jar – eBay | A collection of Blue & White Ginger Jars – Amazon
Green bird statues – Old Lucketts Store
Blue & White Accent Rug – Ross Dress for Less | Similar Blue & White Trellis Accent Rugs – Amazon
Bamboo Side table – Ross Dress for Less
Are you selling your home?