On Monday I shared my weekend makeover project – painting my dining room table and chairs. Thank you so much for all your sweet comments! I'm so happy you like it as much as I do!
Today, I want to share with you how I covered the dining room chairs with fabric.
I first got these chairs last October at a local junk furniture shop. I totally scored and got these three chairs for $25 total.
Yep, one was $5 and two were $10 each – happy day!!
I like mismatched chairs so this was all good in my book.
Here's how they looked at first. I love the shapes and I actually prefer that they are mismatched – since I knew I'd be painting and recovering them – that would “unify” them enough for me.
To remove the cushions from the frames you need to flip the chairs over and unscrew them from the base.
You will need a flat head or Phillips head screwdriver for this task.
Once you've detached the cushions you are ready to paint the chairs. Since I talked about painting on Monday, today we'll focus on covering the cushions.
In my craft room, I have a bunch of random throw pillows so I decided to re-use/recycle one of them for this project rather than purchase new “filler”.
This one toss pillow provided enough stuffing for all three of my chairs!
To begin, pull out all the stuffing from your pillow.
Now for the real work!
First, you need to remove the staples from the cushion base.
I removed the staples from the front and each side leaving the back attached and peeled the fabric back. This revealed the original foam cushion and the cushion base.
The original foam was still in ok shape and it provides a very smooth surface for the fabric to lay on giving the finished product a “professional” look.
But, it was flat, so I decided to make a stuffing sandwich with my pillow stuffing, layering it between the cushion base and the foam as you can see in the photo above.
Now you can pull the original fabric back over the top (having it still stapled gives you something to pull against which is quite handy) and restaple into place.
Keeping the original fabric on provided me with a good “framework” making this project even easier. Now that I've got it back on, it's time to add the new fabric.
Lay your fabric over the cushion to determine how much fabric you need.
Remember to allow a few extra inches on each side for folding and stapling.
I left the selvage edge on my fabric since it would be hidden under the chair.
By the way, my fabric is a linen/rayon blend by P.Kaufmann called “Brissac” in Jewel. I bought mine at Fabrics Unlimited. I love it!!
Once you've cut out your fabric be sure to iron it. I encourage you to not skip this step because ironing it after the fact won't be an option so go heat up your iron, I'll wait 🙂
Is your fabric ironed and ready to go? Great!
Lay it right-side down on your work surface (the floor in my case!) and then lay your cushion down (also right-side down) on top of the fabric centering it.
I started in the back by pulling the fabric up over the back and placing a staple in the center and then working my way around, tugging and folding as needed.
Fortunately, no one sees the bottom once it's finished so it can be a bit wonky and that's ok!
And there's your cushion, ready to be screwed back onto its newly painted frame!
I hope you see how easy it is to recover a dining room chair and will give it a try on your own chairs. I was able to recover all three of these in about an hour – yippie!
I'm sharing this DIY project over at Monday-Funday on Uncommon Designs!