No matter if you're hosting a super bowl party or just looking for a quick and easy dinner idea, you're gonna love this Easy Bratwurst with Peppers and Onions recipe. This roasting method is a no-fuss alternative to grilling that frees you to focus on other things – like friends, the game, or dessert!
My husband is a big football fan and I like the idea of having easy game-day recipes that I can pull out that won't tie me up in the kitchen all day. This one comes together with just a few ingredients and yet it is satisfying and delicious. And it's not just a great Super Bowl party recipe! This is wonderful for tailgating, summer entertaining, Fall parties and of course a busy weeknight meal since it comes together in minutes.
While I often enjoy grilling there are times when it's just not convenient to stand at the grill, and that's why I love this recipe. It's a one-dish recipe that is savory and simple. Two of my favorite things when it comes to cooking!
With just a few ingredients you can have a deliciously satisfying, family-friendly meal in thirty minutes.
What types of peppers are good with brats?
I like to use a trio of bell peppers including green peppers, yellow peppers and red peppers all seeded and thinly sliced.
I also add jalapeno peppers to mine for an extra spicy kick. This is of course optional but does add a wonderful complexity to the flavors.
I also include Vidalia onions when I make this. The onions still taste savory but without the “bite” that regular onions have.
What can I substitute for Bratwurst?
Don't have bratwurst on hand but still want to make a savory game-day sandwich? You can substitute Italian sausage, kielbasa, knockwurst, and even hot dogs for bratwurst in this recipe.
What are Bratwurst?
Bratwurst, also known as Brats, are a type of german sausage. They are commonly made with a combination of veal and pork but there are many varieties that are made with beef and veal or other meaty combinations. The key to bratwurst comes down to spices. Common bratwurst spices include marjoram, cumin, nutmeg, coriander, caraway seeds, ginger, paprika, and sage.
Can I make Bratwurst at home?
Yes! It is very simple to make your own bratwurst using your favorite ground meats and a combination of these spices: marjoram, cumin, nutmeg, coriander, caraway seeds, ginger, paprika, and sage. The only caveat to at-home sausage making is deciding if you want to use casing or not. If you don't you can make meatballs or use your stuffing as a mix-in for recipes like meatloaf and hand-pies.
Why is Bratwurst a good game-day food?
I think this is a terrific game-day recipe because it doesn't require a bunch of time or focus which is always in short supply when entertaining. This recipe takes only minutes to prep and by baking it instead of grilling it, the oven does all the hard work of cooking and caramelizing the flavors.
Want even more easy Super Bowl Party Recipes?
No matter if you're hosting a Super Bowl party, Tailgating, or other game-day parties these recipes will delight your guests and help you save time!
Easy Bratwurst with Peppers and Onions
- 5 – 6 Bratwurst or your other favorite raw sausage
- Olive Oil
- 3 Bell Peppers allow 1/2 pepper per brat
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup Jalapeno Peppers sliced
- Salt Pepper and Spices to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400° F
- Slice bell peppers into thin strips (removing the seeds first)
- Slice the onion into thin strips
- Drizzle a little olive oil onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet (or sheet pan)
- Place bratwurst, sliced peppers, onions, and jalapenos in the pan.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and additional spices as desired. I like an herb blend like Badia's 14 Spices.
- Drizzle a tiny bit more olive oil and toss, making sure everything is well coated and mixed.
- Roast at 400° F for 30 minutes or until the peppers and onions are caramelized and the brats have reached an internal temperature of 160°.
- Serve on a bun or on their own if you are trying to eat a low-carb diet.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase anything through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.