I don’t know how it happened but it is Memorial Day this weekend! Wasn’t it just Easter like last week?! In honor of this very special holiday where we take a moment to honor the brave soldiers who fought for our freedom, I have created a delicious dessert that is also simple – you know me, it’s gotta be easy or it’s just not gonna happen around here! Using one of my all-time favorite go-to ingredients, Pound Cake, I’ve created a strawberry shortcake with a knock-your-socks-off Wild Blueberry sauce. It was all I could do to not just pour this sauce into a glass and drink it, it’s that good!
- ½ cup Wild Blueberry Preserves
- 1½ Tablespoons Orange Juice/Pineapple Juice blend
- ½ teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
- ½ cup Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Pound Cake
- Sliced Fresh Strawberries
- Whipped Cream
- Heat preserves in a small pan over low heat, stirring until liquified (this only takes a moment or two).
- Add Orange Juice/Pineapple Juice blend and Almond extract to preserves. Once mixture is heated through add blueberries. Take off of heat and set aside while you prepare shortcake. Plan to spoon over finished shortcakes almost immediately.
- Slice pound cake and cut-out with star shaped cookie cutter, if desired. You need two slices per serving. Place one layer of cake on a plate.
- Place a small amount of whipped cream on first slice of cake.
- Place sliced fresh strawberries on top of whipped cream.
- Add another layer of whipped cream and the other piece of pound cake.
- Drizzle warm Wild Blueberry Sauce over cake and enjoy!
I hope that you will give this a try and let me know how you like it! I adore the hint of almond in this sauce! It just sends it over-the-top in my opinion!
I will be at the lake spending time with my family on Monday so I will see you on Tuesday. I hope you have a wonderful and safe holiday!
Would you like to receive a preview of my blog posts in your inbox?
I’d love to share them with you! Subscribe here…