Mornings around here can get hectic. I get up at 6:30 am and have a cup of tea with my morning devotional. Then I get showered and get both my little one and I dressed and ready for the day, but somehow that still that leaves little time for both preparing and sitting down to eat breakfast. So, I’ve been looking for simple, but healthy options that allow for us to still have a little bit of sit-down together time before heading out the door. All of this has gotten me experimenting with some simple but delicious breakfast recipes and my favorite one so far are these Southwestern Egg Cups! They are simple, really delicious and you can bake a batch up at one time to eat over a few mornings or freeze to re-heat in a pinch.
Here is a list of the ingredients you’ll need:
6 pieces of bacon
1/4 cup chopped peppers (I used a frozen mix of red, yellow & green peppers)
1/2 Tablespoon sour cream
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro (plus extra for garnish)
salt & pepper to taste
salsa for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a cupcake pan (I used a cooking spray) and wrap one piece of bacon around the inside of each cupcake round.
Run a knife around the outside edge of each muffin and use a spoon to remove each one from the pan and enjoy immediately. You can also allow them to cool and freeze them to enjoy on a super-busy morning. If frozen, place them on a paper towel and heat for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 minutes (plus or minus) depending on the power of your microwave oven.
Add a little salsa and some extra cilantro for even more southwest flavor!
Plus, I love how they make the kitchen smell like it’s a weekend when it’s actually a busy weekday!
- 6 pieces of bacon
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup chopped bell peppers (I used frozen green, yellow and red peppers)
- ½ Tablespoon sour cream
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons of crumbled feta
- ¼ cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro (plus extra for garnish)
- salt and pepper to taste
- salsa for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a cupcake pan (I used a cooking spray) and wrap one piece of bacon around the inside of each cupcake round.
- Mix all of your remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour into each cupcake round until almost full. Bake for approximately 15 - 17 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Run a knife around the outside edge of each muffin and use a spoon to remove each one from the pan and enjoy immediately. You can also allow them to cool and freeze them to enjoy on a super-busy morning. If frozen, place them on a paper towel and heat for approximately 1½ to 2 minutes (plus or minus) depending on the power of your microwave oven.
- Serve with a little salsa and some extra cilantro for even more southwest flavor!
Click here to download a copy of this week’s breakfast & dinner menus. I’m headed out of town later this week so this week’s menus are missing a few dishes. I hope to be able to take some photos on our trip and share it with you when we return. I’m also busy doing some sweet updates to my daughter’s room which I’m excited to share with you once they are all complete. We are in full re-organization mode over here!
When we return I’m planning to prepare with one of my favorite (and simplest) dinners – Breakfast for dinner! It’s a fun treat and after traveling I just don’t think I’ll be up for much more cooking than that. Do you like to have “brinner” (breakfast & dinner = brinner) too?
I hope you give this Southwestern Egg Cup recipe a try. It really is delish! Oh, and if you’d like a recipe for the yummy quiche featured on this week’s menu, click here.
Would you like to receive a preview of my blog posts in your inbox?
I’d love to share them with you! Subscribe here…