Breakfast foods are some of my favorite foods, in fact there are many evenings when I’m just as happy having breakfast for dinner! Although oddly, I’m not as excited about eating dinner food for breakfast… weird, I know. Anyway, today I’m excited to share a yummy early Autumn morning treat: Pumpkin French Toast!!
I prefer to use Challah bread when I make French Toast. It really soaks up the yummy eggy mixture better than any other bread I’ve tried… plus, in the center of the loaf, the pieces are huge which let’s me eat more of this treat while fooling myself that I’m only having two pieces (that are really more like four!).
- 4 slices of Challah bread (or any bread you prefer)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of half & half (or milk for a lighter version)
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- ¼ cup of canned pumpkin pie filling*
- 2 teaspoons of butter (divided)
- Powdered Sugar
- *You could use plain canned pumpkin instead and just add in some extra spices but I like using the pumpkin pie filling because all those yummy spices are already in there!
- Preheat a griddle or large frying pan over medium heat - do not add butter yet.
- Combine the egg, half & half, salt, vanilla, and pumpkin pie filling in a shallow dish (I use a glass pie pan).
- Add 1 teaspoon of butter to pan rubbing it around so the pan is lightly coated. Dip bread into egg mixture and be sure both sides are well coated. Place bread on griddle and cook on crispy and brown on each side.
- Place french toast on serving plate and lightly dust with powdered sugar and serve with warm maple syrup. Serve immediately and enjoy!!
- If you need to make these in batches for a larger crowd you can heat your oven to about 200° and store them for about 20 - 30 minutes but I recommend serving immediately if at all possible.
Ah, the crunchy outside and warm, soft pumpkiny inside with the extra sweetness from the splash of powdered sugar and syrup, I’m telling you, this is autumn in a bite! A mug of warm Apple Cider would perfectly complete the festive Fall meal!
I hope you will give them a try and let me know what you think!!
Would you like to receive a preview of my blog posts in your inbox?
I’d love to share them with you! Subscribe here…